By Charles Henry Cooper
Charles Henry Cooper charted over part a millennium of existence at Cambridge within the 5 volumes of Annals of Cambridge. Cooper practised as a solicitor in Cambridge, and was once additionally city clerk from 1849 until eventually his loss of life in 1866. He used to be a willing historian and dedicated loads of time to archival examine, rather into neighborhood background. Drawing on vast private and non-private documents, together with petitions, city treasurers' money owed, recovery documents, loss of life certificate, felony articles and letters to ruling royalty, Cooper compiled a complete chronological background of Cambridge, documenting the 'city of students' via its tumultuous political and spiritual turning out to be pains. It used to be released in elements, within the face of substantial competition from the collage specialists, yet was once ultimately acclaimed as an authoritative account. This moment quantity, released in 1843, covers the Elizabethan interval, from 1546-1601, and comprises the founding of the collage Press.
Read Online or Download Annals of Cambridge PDF
Best ancient & medieval literature books
This can be a newly revised, serious textual content of the fragments attributed to the Roman knight and mimographer Decimus Laberius, a witty and crudely satirical modern of Cicero and Caesar. Laberius may be the main celebrated comedian playwright of the past due Republic, and the fragments of performs attributed to him contain the overpowering majority of the extant proof for what we conventionally name 'the literary Roman mime'.
This number of freshly commissioned essays covers the whole variety of the works of a very flexible and leading edge poet. The essays introduce readers to a number of serious techniques to Horace and to Latin poetry, in addition to a couple of assorted contexts--political, philosophical, old.
Not like another reproductions of vintage texts (1) we've not used OCR(Optical personality Recognition), as this results in undesirable caliber books with brought typos. (2) In books the place there are photos equivalent to graphics, maps, sketches and so forth we've got endeavoured to maintain the standard of those pictures, so that they symbolize adequately the unique artefact.
- Lettere dal Carcere (Italian Edition)
- Easter in Kishniev: Anatomy of a Pogrom (Reappraisals in Jewish Social and Intellectual History)
- Ancient Egyptian Literature: Volume I: The Old and Middle Kingdoms (Near Eastern Center, UCLA)
- Theocritus 2 Volume Set
- The Science of Sensibility: Reading Burke's Philosophical Enquiry (International Archives of the History of Ideas, Vol. 206)
Additional resources for Annals of Cambridge
452. S Hen. VJII. & 1 Edw, VI. EDWARD THE SIXTH. [1547 "not tell how to be without him: but however such was his pru" dence, that he was willing to leave his scholar and his fault to the " Archbishops discretion. " The subsequent special clauses were however added:— AN D it is ordeyned and enacted by the auctoritie aforesaide, that our Soveraigne Lorde the King at anny tyme during his life (which God long preserve) maye at his Will and Pleasure alter and chaunge the name or names of all and singuler Chaunterys, and the foundacions of the same, being in any of the Colleges hostclls or halls of anny of the saide Universities according as to his godlie wisdome shal be thought mete and convenyent.
VI. MS. Parker, cvi. 287, 288. Dr. —MS. Baker, xxxiv. 323. perhaps for " Out alas," a common exclamation of grief, where we should now say "alas "Out alas! " Winters Tale. iv. 3. " Ha! let me see her out alas! " Romeo fy Juliet, iv. 5. —Nares' Glossary. " Harr. Ariost. xviii. " Puiitant iv. 3. 1548] EDWARD THE SIXTH. 19 Conventicles, or gatheringe of people may be made in this Fayer, to ye trouble vexinge and disquietinge of y e Kings leage people, or lettinge of the officers of y e University to exercise there offices, under the payne of Imprisonment & further punishment as the offence shall require.
X d . Item, for the chargs of Mr. Mayer & Mr. Ruste and other when they went to gett the towne discharged from mustring wt the shire,(l) xxxvj 8 . ij d . Item, to a manne for carrying a letter of discharge to Syr Giles Alington, xiij d . Item, for a present give to Mr. Recorder when Mr. Mayer & the companye dyned wt him, viz. a lambe, iij 8 . , ij cople of capons, vj s . , vj mallards & thre snipes, iij 8 iiij d . A gallon of Mawmsey & A gallon of redde Wyne, ij s . l l l j d . = = X V b . VllJ d .